Using our Gluten-Free Prairie All Purpose Flour Blend, this batter comes together quickly. The result is crispy, moist and tender fish that no one will believe is Gluten-Free.
Simple Gluten-Free Batter for Fried Fish
Author: Gluten-Free Prairie
Recipe type: American
Finally a simple Gluten-Free batter for fried fish that no one will believe is Gluten-Free. Makes great fish tacos too
- 1 Pound cod fillet cut into 8-10 pieces (about 1" x 3")
- 1 Cup Gluten-Free Prairie All Purpose Flour Blend
- 1 Cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon baking powder (GF is easy to find)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 10 oz GF beer (or club soda or seltzer) save 2 oz for thickening if necessary
- 1 teaspoon each: garlic powder & onion powder
- 12 ounces GF beer ( or club soda) - save 2 oz (for thinning if needed)
- Pat fish with paper towels - set aside
- In a large bowl, whisk together GFP flour blend, cornstarch, salt, white pepper, baking powder, sugar and garlic & onion powder, cayenne pepper, sugar,
- Blend in 10 ounces GF beer (or club soda) - save 2 oz. (for thinning if needed)
- Mix until batter is smooth, adding more liquid if batter is too thick
- Add the fish to batter turning to coat all sides. Set aside
- Heat oil in a large skillet to 375 degrees (I love my Lodge cast iron!)
- When oil is up to temp, shake off excess batter and carefully place fish in the hot oil. Fry for about 2½ min, turn and fry additional 2-3 min until batter is set, fish is cooked through and golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels.
TIPS!: 1) Take the fish out of the fridge for about 15 min before cooking. (if it’s too cold – the outside will cook much faster and inside will be undercooked)
2) Once the fish is in the pan, avoid the urge to move it around! Let it be. That will set the coating.
3) Recipe can easily be doubled