“Boy, I sure could go for some delicious groats, but it’s summertime and I’d really like something cool and refreshing to make as a side dish.” That’s what we thought too, so we decided to make up this warm weather side dish that will knock your socks off (which is good since it’s warm anyway). This tropical salad has mango, coconut, pineapple, and currants! It’s like the Gluten-Free Prairie is saying, “Aloha Y’all!”
Here’s the video version of the recipe for Tropical Salad with Oat Groats:
- 2 cups Gluten-Free Prairie Oat Groats, cooked until dry and chilled (follow our recipe on the bag)
- ½ can (10 oz) pineapple chunks in juice, drained with juice reserved
- 1 ¼ cup shredded coconut
- ¼ cup dried currants
- 1½ cup celery, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon celery seed
- 1 fresh mango, diced (if necessary, substitute 1 can mandarin oranges, well drained)
- Salt to taste
- Soak currants overnight, or as long as possible.
- Shred pineapple.
- Mix oat groats, pineapple, coconut, mango, celery, celery seed, and kosher salt.
- Drain currants well. Add and mix well.
- Serve cold or just below room temperature.