My family has always loved biscuits. Especially in the Fall alongside a hearty soup, stew or chili. Biscuits seem to be sort of a Right of Passage into Fall.
When Amy and I were diagnosed with Celiac Disease we were disappointed with every biscuit recipe and/or mix that we tried. Then, when I started creating our recipes for Gluten-Free Prairie, I found that my All Purpose Flour Blend made a great little biscuit and they quickly became a staple during the cooler months. For that recipe, I cooked them on the stove top.
And they were really good. But I still kept trying to improve on the recipe. One evening we really wanted biscuits – but it had been a long day in the Bakery and I was ready to be done baking. Then I had an idea…. I had some of our Fresh Pizza Dough in the fridge. I crumbled the dough into the food processor, added a cup of sour cream and 3/4 cube of butter. After a few pulses the dough looked like cottage cheese. I dropped the biscuits into a hot cast-iron skillet where they immediately started to sizzle as the butter melted into the skillet. About 17 minutes later we were rewarded with these buttery little gems!
They were an instant HIT!
Fall's New Best Friend: Buttery Skillet Biscuits
Author: Gluten-Free Prairie
Recipe type: Biscuits
The perfect Biscuit using Gluten-Free Prairie's Pizza Dough? This super simple failsafe biscuit recipe is so versatile, it's sure to be a go-to throughout the year.
- Prepare GFP Pizza dough from mix – or set out our Fresh Dough Ball for 15 min.
- Put 12 in cast iron in the oven set to 425 degrees.
- Set out (11 0z) ½ of our pre-made Pizza dough ball
- Cut up ¾ cube of butter
- Measure out 1 cup of plain yogurt.
- Assemble: Crumble fresh dough ball (equal to ½ Pizza mix) into the processor. Add the butter and yogurt on top and pulse about 5-7 times. The consistency should look like cottage cheese.
- Finally using a large soup spoon drop the dough onto the hot skillet (where it will immediately start to sizzle as the butter melts into the skillet.)
- Put it back in the oven for about 17 min.
All Gluten-Free Prairie products are available in stores throughout Montana. And from our Local Montana Distributor: Quality Foods Distributing And at Faire.com. You can also find us HERE on our Amazon Brand Store
Learn more about our GFP family and life on my Little House the Gluten-Free Prairie blog: HERE
And Please Subscribe to my FREE on-line Newsletter HERE
Thanks for stopping by today.