Our Best Gluten-Free Chicken & Dumplings
Author: Gluten-Free Prairie
- ¾ cup GFP All Purpose Flour Blend, divided
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 #’s chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons safflower oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 cup chopped portobello mushrooms
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups chicken and/or vegetable stock (divided)
- ½ cup white wine
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 3 bay leaves
- 5 whole peppercorns (optional)
- 1-1/3 cups Gluten-Free Prairie All Purpose Flour Blend
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ⅔ cup 2% milk (room temp)
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- *2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley, fennel seed, tarragon, white pepper and thyme
- Additional salt and pepper to taste
- SOUP: In a shallow bowl, mix ½ cup flour blend, salt and pepper. Add chicken, one piece at a time, and toss to coat; shake off excess. In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Brown chicken in batches on all sides; remove from pan.
- Add onion, carrots and celery and mushrooms to same pan; cook and stir 6-8 minutes or until onion is tender. Add garlic; cook and stir 1 minute longer. Whisk 1 cup of stock with ¼ cup of Gluten- Free Prairie Flour Blend until well blended. Gradually add remaining 5 cups stock, stirring constantly. Stir in wine, sugar, bay leaves and peppercorns. Return chicken to pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 20-25 minutes or until chicken juices run clear.
- DUMPLINGS: In a medium bowl, whisk GFP All Purpose Flour blend, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, whisk milk and melted butter until blended. Add to flour mixture; stir just until moistened (do not over-mix). *Let rest for 5 min. Roll ¾ tablespoon of mixture into balls and set on parchment paper-lined baking sheet; set aside.
- Remove chicken from stockpot; cool slightly. Discard bay leaves. Remove any skin and bones from chicken and discard. Cut up chicken and return to soup. Cook, covered, on high until mixture reaches a *rolling simmer.
- Drop dumplings on top of simmering soup, a few at a time. Reduce heat to low; cook, covered, 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center of dumplings comes out clean. Uncover and continue cooking for about 5 min. Gently stir in cream. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste. If desired, garnish with fresh parsley
- • If desired, you can use prepared cooked chicken (like Costco’s) in place of bullet #1
- • Resting the dumpling batter helps it to dry out a bit making it easier to handle
- • Rolling simmer (not boil) will set the dumplings