Gluten-Free Prairie French Onion Soup with Cheesy Biscuit Bites
This simple and super flavor-full dish was a huge hit at my "Now We're Cookin' Gluten Free" Cooking Class this week. And caramelizing onions has never been easier
Author: Gluten-Free Prairie
Recipe type: Soup
Serves: 6 servings
- **NOTE: Prepare Caramelized onions in slow cooker the day before or allow 6 hours for best results.
- • 3# sweet onions, sliced
- • 1 stick of butter & 1 tsp salt
- • Place onions, butter and salt in slow cooker. Set on high for about 6 hours.
- • SOUP:
- • 10 oz Each – Chicken Broth & Vegetable Broth
- • 2 TB dry sherry
- • 2-3 fresh thyme sprigs, or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- • Salt & pepper – to taste
- Cheesy Biscuits:
- *Preheat Large Cast Iron skillet in oven at 425
- • 1 Gluten-Free Prairie Fresh Pizza Dough
- • 2 cups Swiss cheese, diced
- • slices provolone cheese
- For soup: Heat broths in large stock pot. Add sherry and thyme. Season with salt & pepper.
- Simmer 30 min. (set aside)
- For Cheesy Biscuits: Sprinkle parchment paper with corn starch. Roll out pizza dough on paper until about ½ thick. Sprinkle with ¼ of cheeses and fold dough over. Repeat process 2 more times. Cut cheesy dough into biscuit sized rounds. (approx. 3 in across)
- Place biscuits in hot cast iron and bake for 15-20 min until golden brown.
- Serve over French Onion Soup.