Gluten-Free Prairie Buttermilk Scones
These classic Scones with dried fruit are a perfect treat for Breakfast or Brunch. Rich and Buttery - and no one will believe they're Gluten-Free
Author: Gluten-Free Prairie
Recipe type: Breakfast / Brunch
Serves: 16 scones
- 3 cups Gluten-Free Prairie All Purpose Flour Blend
- ⅔ cup sugar (plus 3 tablespoons for sprinkling on top)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ cup (1½ sticks) unsalted cold butter, cut into chunks
- 1 cup buttermilk (1 tablespoon buttermilk reserved for brushing on top)
- ¾ cup dried blueberries, currants, cranberries, raisins or a combination (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Combine the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and baking soda in a large bowl. Add butter chunks to the dry mixture and physically work the butter into the dry mix with your hands or a pastry cutter until it becomes a coarse sand texture. Add buttermilk and mix just until combined (add a little bit of flour if the dough is too wet). Add ¾ C dried fruit (if desired)
- Transfer dough to a floured board and divide into 2. Form each piece into a ¾ thick round by rolling or shaping with your hands. Brush buttermilk or melted butter on top, sprinkle generously with sugar. Cut each round into 8 wedges and place slightly separated on a greased baking sheet or parchment paper. Bake for 15 minutes, or until lightly browned. Serve warm.
Serve these right out of the oven warm, delicious! Add a little jam, perfect. Now that’s comfort! Enjoy!
And Please Subscribe to my FREE on-line Newsletter HERE
Thanks for stopping by today.