Gluten-Free Prairie Bison Black Bean Chili Hand Pies with Caramelized Onions
Author: Gluten-Free Prairie
Cuisine: Main Course
A Delicious and hearty pie that everyone will love. Recipe can be easily doubled. For best results cook crusts in a large iron skillet (Lodge is my favorite)
- NOTE: Prepare Caramelized onions in slow cooker the day before or allow 6 hours for best results.
- 3# sweet onions, sliced
- 1 stick of butter
- 1 tsp salt
- Place onions, butter and salt in slow cooker. Set on high for about 6 hours.
- BISON CHILI & HAND PIES:
- 1 package Gluten-Free Prairie Fresh Pizza Dough (or 1 pkg dry mix)
- 1 TB cooking oil (Safflower is my favorite for this dish)
- 1 tsp minced garlic (or to taste)
- ½ LB ground bison
- 1 can black beans (drained)
- 2 med Poblano peppers (remove all seeds and dice)
- 1 tsp oregano
- ½ tsp ground cumin seed
- ½ tsp garlic salt
- 1 cup mild cheddar cheese (shredded)
- Preheat cast iron in oven set to 425 for at least 15 min.
- Saute bison in oil until almost cooked through. Add peppers and cook until they soften (about 10 min) Add remaining ingredients and cook about 10 min more until beans soften. Reduce to simmer and cover.
- Cut dough ball in half. Roll out one ball on parchment dusted with corn starch or Gluten-Free Prairie Oat Flour. Using a small bowl or large soup cup, cut dough into rounds.
- Scoop bison mixture onto ½ of each round. Sprinkle with cheese. Fold over and crimp edges with damp fork.
- Bake for 17 min - until golden brown.
- Top with Caramelized onions.