The frost may be on the pumpkin outside, but the kitchen is warm and smelling like cinnamon and cloves.
It’s that time of year when family and friends get together to celebrate Thanksgiving and many will be covering the miles to reach their destinations. If your guest room is full this Thanksgiving Holiday, you’ll probably be fixing breakfast before and after the Feast. I wanted to extend our Thanksgiving Feast with something my guests would remember. I created this Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal for that purpose, but now I know it’ll be a staple in our diets.
We love Pumpkin and the spices that surround it. It’s shame to relegate it simply to a soon-to-be-forgotten dessert at the end of the biggest meal of the year. And the health benefits of Pumpkin are well documented too. We’ve been enjoying it several times a week and it only takes about 10 minutes total.
- ½ C Very Hot Water (I heat it in the microwave)
- ½ C. Canned Pumpkin
- 1 TB Coconut Oil
- 2 TB Pure Maple Syrup
- 1 C Gluten-Free Prairie Oatmeal
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- Dried cranberries & Chopped pecans (desired amount) for topping
- In a small saucepan heat pumpkin, coconut oil, and maple syrup to steaming. Add oatmeal and spices and stir well. Stir in very hot water and blend all. Cover and turn off heat.
- Let sit for 5 min.
- Spoon into serving bowls and sprinkle with cranberries and pecans.
- (makes 2 large or 4 small servings)
- If desired, add milk and/or yogurt