There’s just something to be said for meat on a stick. But most of the time you’d get that sort of stuff at a county fair and typically, it would be cause for serious pain and discomfort for us gluten free eaters. Am I right? Well, have no fear, Gluten-Free Prairie Meatballs with Oat Groats are here! And to add some true Montana inspiration to these gluten-free meatballs, we’ve got a killer glaze with huckleberries!
Gluten-Free Meatballs with Oat Groats & Huckleberry Sauce
Make these gluten-free meatballs with cooked oat groats to give them some real Montana character. Then top them with some huckleberry glaze.
Author: Gluten-Free Prairie
Recipe type: Appetizer
- ½ cup cooked Gluten-Free Prairie oat groats (see bag for directions)
- ½ cup water
- ⅓ cup onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon celery salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ pound Italian sausage
- ½ pound ground beef or turkey or bison
- 2 tablespoon canola oil
- Huckleberry Sauce:
- ⅓ cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoon huckleberry jam (you can use a different jam if you need to substitute)
- For the meatballs: In a bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Add meats and mix well.
- Shape into 1½-inch balls. In a large skillet, brown meatballs in oil and drain.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- For the huckleberry sauce: Combine ketchup, vinegar, and jam. Pour over meatballs.