According to Consumer Reports – the average American can consume 3,000-4,000 calories in their Thanksgiving Dinner. Clearly the Holidays are usually the time we throw caution to the wind when it comes to what we eat. But you can enjoy the holidays without compromising health with our Healthy Holiday menu which has less fat and fewer calories—one-third fewer calories!
Groat Stuffing with Apples & Herbs
Holidays are usually the time we throw caution to the wind when it comes to what we eat. But you can enjoy the holidays without compromising health with our Healthy Holiday menu which has less fat and fewer calories—one-third fewer calories!
Author: Gluten-Free Prairie
Recipe type: Stuffing
- • Please read entire recipe before shopping or beginning.
- • 12-15 lb fresh organic, or free-range turkey (do not use self-basting turkey)
- • Stuffing:
- • 1 cup Gluten-Free Prairie Oat Groats
- • ½ cup wild rice
- • 1 medium onion, chopped
- • ¾ cup diced celery, about ¼-inch pieces
- • 2 cups sliced crimini mushrooms
- • 1 medium green apple, diced about ¼ inch pieces
- • 4 medium cloves garlic, minced
- • ½ cup chopped walnuts
- • 6 dried apricots, coarsely chopped
- • ½ cup raisins
- • ½ cup chopped fresh parsley
- • 2 TBS chopped fresh sage (or 2 tsp dried sage)
- • 3 TBS chopped fresh thyme (or 1 TBS dried thyme)
- • ½ TBS fennel seeds
- • ½ cup + 1 TBS chicken broth
- • salt and black pepper to taste
- • Optional: add cooked gizzards to gravy ingredients, remove from heat, chop and add to stuffing mixture.
- • Gravy:
- • 6 cups chicken broth
- • 2 large carrots, chopped in large pieces
- • 2 medium onions, cut into large pieces
- • 2 celery sticks, cut into large pieces
- • neck, wing tips and giblets from turkey (Optional: include liver and cook for about 10 minutes, remove, chop, and add to dressing ingredients)
- • ⅓ cup flour mixed with water
- • 1 TBS chopped fresh rosemary (or 1 tsp dried rosemary)
- • 2 TBS chopped fresh thyme (or 2 tsp dried thyme)
- • salt and black pepper
- • *optional ¼ cup dried porcini mushrooms
- • Serves: minimum of 8•
- Bring 3-1/2 cups of lightly salted water to a boil. While water is coming to a boil, rinse the wild rice under running water in a strainer. When water is boiling add both groats and wild rice, cover, turn heat to low and cook for about 45 minutes, until tender. Do not overcook. You will most likely have excess water when rice is cooked properly. Put cooked rice in a strainer and drain out excess water. Set aside in a large enough bowl to mix everything together.
- Heat 1 TBS chicken broth in a large stainless steel skillet. Healthy Sauté onion in broth over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and celery and continue to sauté for another 2-3 minutes.
- Mix all the stuffing ingredients together in bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake 325 degrees
And Please Subscribe to my FREE monthly on-line Newsletter HERE
Thanks for stopping by today.
2 thoughts on “Gluten-Free Prairie Oat Groat Stuffing with Apples & Herbs”
Greetings and thanks for this great recipe I found while searching for oat groat stuffing.
You may want to correct the instructions at the bottom: it says “brown rice” where I think you meant “groats.”
Take care and be well!
Thanks for bringing the error to my attention. I adapted the recipe from one that used brown rice. I will make sure to edit it.