This is a Hearty Heater-Upper! Winter is a time to fight back against Mother Nature’s freezing fury. This Chicken Soup with Oat Groats and Kale will help fuel you for that battle, and it tastes good while doing it. With the addition of roasted chicken and our Gluten-Free Prairie Oat Groats, you’ll have a bunch of protein too!
Chicken Soup with Oat Groats and Kale
Winter is a time to fight back against Mother Nature's freezing fury. This Chicken Soup with Oat Groats and Kale will keep you fueled up all winter.
Author: Gluten-Free Prairie
Recipe type: Main Dish
Serves: 4 bowls
- ⅔ cup Gluten-Free Prairie Oat Groats, cooked (see cooking directions on package)
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed or olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- ¾ cup celery, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups sweet potato, roughly diced
- 2 cups baby kale, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup roasted chicken, roughly diced (optional)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Heat a large saucepan on medium-low heat.
- Add the oil, onion, celery, and garlic. Cook, covered, for about 7 minutes or until the vegetables are starting to soften, adding a tablespoon or two of water if needed.
- Pour in the stock, water, sweet potato, oat groats, kale, bay leaves, and thyme. Bring to a simmer and cook, covered, for 17 minutes or until sweet potato and oat groats are tender.
- Add the chicken and simmer until hot, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add pepper and salt (if using) to taste.