Whether you need an appetizer to impress company or you want a savory treat all to yourself, these gluten-free cheese puffs will impress everyone. Make a double batch and freeze any leftovers for the next time you need a treat in a pinch!
Author: Gluten-Free Prairie
Recipe type: Appetizer
- 1 cup water
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into tablespoons
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup Gluten-Free Prairie Oat Flour Blend
- 3 large eggs
- 3 ounces Gruyère cheese, cut into ¼-inch dice (about ⅔ cup)
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- ½ cup bacon bits (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400. Line two large, rimmed baking sheets with parchment.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the water with the butter and salt and bring to a boil over moderate heat.
- Reduce the heat to low, add the flour all at once, and beat with a wooden spoon until the batter is smooth and pulls away from the side of the pan. Beat for 1 minute longer over the heat to dry out the batter.
- Remove from the heat and let the batter cool for 5 minutes. Beat in 1 egg at a time, beating well between additions. Stir in the cheese and pepper.
- Drop tablespoons of the batter onto the prepared baking sheets and bake for about 20 minutes, or until puffed and golden. Transfer to a rack to cool.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
- The baked puffs can be frozen for up to 1 month. Thaw and reheat in a 350° oven for 5 minutes.