Try our favorite gluten-free side dish recipes!
Crispy Corn Fritters
Need an appetizer or side dish in a hurry? This fluffy and crispy little fritter comes together quickly. Serve it as a main course too. The recipe doubles well.
- I cup Gluten-Free Prairie All Purpose Baking Mix
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 cups (12 oz) whole kernel corn (canned or fresh)
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 ripe banana (mashed)
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tbsp. fresh chopped cilantro
- 4 tbsp. chopped green onion
- ½ tsp. crushed dried red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4-6 TB vegetable oil for frying
- Sweet chili sauce (gluten-free is readily available in stores)
- In a small bowl blend together GFP Baking Mix and baking powder (set aside)
- In a large bowl beat eggs and mashed banana and corn. Mix well
- Add green onions, cumin, cilantro and red pepper flakes and salt and pepper. Mix well
- Add flour mixture and fold all together to form a loose batter
- Heat oil in large skillet. Drop batter gently by tablespoon into the oil and fry 1-2 min per side until golden brown.
- Remove with slotted spoon and drain on paper towel.
- Serve with sweet chili sauce. Serves 4
Oat Risotto (Groat-sotto)
Boy oh boy, you gotta love a nice-a-risotto. The flavor, the smell, the texture, it just says “Hi, I’m the best thing on your plate right now, but you should pay some attention to the main dish. Really, you should at least try.”
Tropical Salad with Oat Groats
“Boy, I sure could go for some delicious groats, but it’s summertime and I’d really like something cool and refreshing to make as a side dish.” That’s what we thought too, so we decided to make up this warm weather side dish that will knock your socks off (which is good since it’s warm anyway). This tropical salad has mango, coconut, pineapple, and currants! It’s like the Gluten-Free Prairie is saying, “Aloha Y’all!”