Try our favorite gluten-free side dish recipes!
Amazing Toasted Oat Flour Gravy with Brandy and Shallots
Ready, set, Get Your Gobble On!
Every Thankgiving Feast needs a great Turkey Gravy, right? This amazing gravy comes together quickly. The Oat Flour will dissolve completely. Never separate, no grit and will never clump. Truly amazing and simple too. No one will believe it’s Gluten-Free
To see how easily you can master this rich, delicious gravy, watch me prepare it in this one minute recipe video on our website: http://bit.ly/1sacPCX
- Yields about 2 cups of gravy. Can be easily doubled.
- 2 medium shallots – chopped
- **2-3 TB drippings from a turkey, chicken or roast, etc (Or 2 TB butter
- ½ cup brandy
- ¼ cup GFP Toasted Oat Flour
- 4 C stock (chicken, vegetable, etc)
- ¼ C Heavy cream
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Heat drippings over medium heat in a heavy-bottomed pan. Add shallots and heat until dark brown (10-15 min)
- Add brandy and simmer
- Whisk GFP Toasted Oat Flour into 1 C stock to thoroughly combine
- Slowly add the stock & flour mixture to the drippings while stirring constantly
- Bring to a slow boil while stirring. Reduce to a simmer for 10-15 minutes while stirring constantly. Your efforts will pay off here!
- Add heavy cream and stir to combine
- Heat on low until thickened. Add salt & pepper and any other herbs and seasonings you’d like.
- ** if drippings are not available add herbs of choice. Example: sage, thyme, basil, rosemary etc.
- To see how easily you can master this rich, delicious gravy, watch Deb prepare it in this one minute recipe video on our website: http://bit.ly/1sacPCX
Crispy Corn Fritters
Need an appetizer or side dish in a hurry? This fluffy and crispy little fritter comes together quickly. Serve it as a main course too. The recipe doubles well.
- I cup Gluten-Free Prairie All Purpose Baking Mix
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 cups (12 oz) whole kernel corn (canned or fresh)
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 ripe banana (mashed)
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tbsp. fresh chopped cilantro
- 4 tbsp. chopped green onion
- ½ tsp. crushed dried red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4-6 TB vegetable oil for frying
- Sweet chili sauce (gluten-free is readily available in stores)
- In a small bowl blend together GFP Baking Mix and baking powder (set aside)
- In a large bowl beat eggs and mashed banana and corn. Mix well
- Add green onions, cumin, cilantro and red pepper flakes and salt and pepper. Mix well
- Add flour mixture and fold all together to form a loose batter
- Heat oil in large skillet. Drop batter gently by tablespoon into the oil and fry 1-2 min per side until golden brown.
- Remove with slotted spoon and drain on paper towel.
- Serve with sweet chili sauce. Serves 4
Oat Risotto (Groat-sotto)
Boy oh boy, you gotta love a nice-a-risotto. The flavor, the smell, the texture, it just says “Hi, I’m the best thing on your plate right now, but you should pay some attention to the main dish. Really, you should at least try.”
Tropical Salad with Oat Groats
“Boy, I sure could go for some delicious groats, but it’s summertime and I’d really like something cool and refreshing to make as a side dish.” That’s what we thought too, so we decided to make up this warm weather side dish that will knock your socks off (which is good since it’s warm anyway). This tropical salad has mango, coconut, pineapple, and currants! It’s like the Gluten-Free Prairie is saying, “Aloha Y’all!”